About Endodontics

Who are Endodontists?

Commonly known as “root canal specialists”, endodontists are dentists with two additional years of formal specialization in a graduate program. Endodontists specialize in treatments ranging from inflammation and diseases of the tooth pulp or nerves to infections in the bone and gums from root canal abscesses.

Dr. Sinanan is committed to providing you with the best care possible and uses only the most advanced medical and endodontic technology in his office. By using advanced microscopes and modern anesthetics, Dr. Shinanan can ensure that your endodontic experience will be a comfortable one!

What is Endodontics?

Endodontics can be broken down into 2 areas. The first area deals with diseases and inflammation of the blood vessels and nerves within the tooth. The second part is the treatment of any infection once it has spread beyond the confines of the root canal system, into the surrounding bone and soft tissue. Once the infection has spread, the patient will be very swollen and may need what we call surgical intervention or what we call surgical endodontics.

Surgical Endodontics

Surgical endodontics is another area that endodontists are trained in. In a surgical endodontics case, the infection has spread beyond the confines of the root canal system, into the surrounding bone and soft tissue around the tooth. The patient will present with severe swelling and can be in quite a bit of distress. During the surgical procedure, we make sure the patient is completely anesthetized before an incision is made in the gum tissue. The gum tissue is then reflected and the necrotic/dead tissue in the bone and the root is removed, cleaned and filled from the bottom up-hence the term “retrofill”.

If you think you require surgical endodontics, please consult your general dentist or an endodontist right away.

Endotontists and General Dentist

Your general dentist will refer you to an Endodontist if you have an especially difficult case, for example, if you have severely curved roots or a very infected tooth that is failing for whatever reason. The Endodontist will treat you using a microscope and specialized instrument and techniques.

If you are experiencing severe tooth pain or if you suspect that you are having any of these problems, please refer yourself to an Endodontist as soon as you can.

Root Canal Procedure

For root canal procedures, the patient will be fully anesthetized. A rubber dam will be placed around the tooth in question and then a small hole will be drilled in the top of the tooth. Using microscopes and fine instruments, we will enter the inside of the tooth and remove the infected nerves and blood vessels. We will then clean the area thoroughly and fill the spaces we have created inside the root with biocompatible materials. Finally, the hole that was drilled on the top of the tooth will be sealed with a filling. The rubber dam is removed, and the patient will be good to go.

Do You Need One

You should visit an endodontist if you have any of the following symptoms:

  • A severe response to anything cold (like a cold drink)
  • A severe response to anything hot (like a cup of coffee)
  • You can’t bite down on or touch the tooth
  • You are experiencing what we call spontaneous pain, which is a sudden severe episode of pain in a tooth with no apparent stimulus.

If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, please contact your general dentist or present directly to an endodontist.